[pct-l] What the PCT is really like?

Josh Breslow jbreslowsubs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 13:08:19 CDT 2013

Wow, so many responses. Ya'll are so nice to take the time to reply.

Lollygag, I took your advice and purchased Ray's book. I am about due for a
new book anyway so I bit the bullet and bought it. My library did have the
book to borrow but I like to go back an re-read/reference things which
borrowing the book wouldn't allow me to do. Hopefully it will be as good as
it sounds.

Seth, I am in no way trying to talk myself out of hiking the PCT. That
isn't going to happen, it is so on next year and I can't wait. I know all
those aforementioned dangers exists, in fact I had my first bear encounter
a couple of weekends ago. You can read all about it here (shameless plug)
http://www.mandiehikes.com/<http://www.mandiehikes.com/2013/08/dobbs-and-bear-momyer-hike-part-deuce.html>
"Dobbs
and the Bear. Momyer hike part deuce." I actually have lots of hiking
experience and a fair amount of backpacking experience. While I am looking
to learn from resources, I am also just curious to see the other side of
hiking the PCT. The books and videos I have looked into mostly shows the
good stuff and not a whole lot of the bad stuff.

I hope it doesn't seem like I am looking for the negative aspects of the
PCT, which I am not, just a more accurate representation of the hike is
all. I know it is what you make of it and a good attitude/positive outlook
goes a long way. That is why I positively know that this is going to be one
of the best experiences of my life. Next April can not get here fast enough.

Josh