[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Apr 30 22:24:41 CDT 2013

Good evening,

I just finished downloading and enjoying the PCT Class of 2012 video, but
with Mendo-Rider’s campfire comment in mind I was not pleased to see images
of that very thing.

In S. Oregon, at minute 37:25 on my counter, two hikers are shown building
a fire in a rock ring.  Unfortunately, there was considerable flammable
forest “duff” on the ground all the way up to -- and into -- the rock-ring.
It’s unclear why they thought they needed a fire in what was probably
August of a warm and dry season in Oregon, but I think doing so is poor
practice, and displaying that practice in a distributed presentation sets a
bad example.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/