[pct-l] severe dehydration danger on the trail

cg at lunky.com cg at lunky.com
Tue Apr 30 17:52:42 CDT 2013

I've been reading this thread over the past few days and I just keep
thinking that it comes down to the individual and not the gear.

I and many other folks have hiked a majority of the the PCT before in
t-shirts and swimming trunks.  I hiked Washington State in heavy
mountaineering boots.  In 1994/96 I don't think my pack ever weighed
less than 40 pounds.  Heck, pushing out of Cascade Locks I think it was
closer to 60 since I couldn't even lift it without help.  Was I some
super athlete? No...I was always way towards the back of the class when
it came to athletic ability.  Although I had backpacked a lot prior to
the PCT, almost all of it was simple overnighters.  I knew I'd
eventually find my groove and I did.  Some people unfortunately never
do.

There is a girl right now on the PCT who has never backpacked before,
yet she did 25 miles on her third or fourth day.  Tired yes, but she is
still hiking just fine 100 miles later.

CG