[pct-l] On "Noobs"

Wayne Smith bumblefist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 11:10:09 CDT 2013

In my opinion, starting the PCT and finding out that it is not what you
were expecting is part of the whole PCT experience.  Those first days
adjusting to being in a new environment, finding out that you you brought
too much or too little gear or food, meeting people when you were expecting
to be on your own (not by choice).  I like seeing the "Noobs" who don't
have it all figured out already because I know that if they make it, they
will have a more memorable experience than the people who didn't have as
many challenges.  The pride can be tremendous when you look back and think
about how much you learned along the way and how much you have changed.
I dissapoints me somewhat when I hear about how much hikers know about what
to expect these days because information about the PCT and PCT life is so
easily available on the internet.

Gretzky