[pct-l] Trail Angel Database - working on the trail

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 18:12:43 CDT 2013

Jim wrote:
Excellent.  We do donate to PCTA ($) and in the future would like to donate time to work on the trail, etc.  We live in the greater Sacramento area and about 1 1/2 hours from the trail where it crosses I80.  With some planning and if we are not hiking ourselves (as section hikers), we are willing to help hikers.
It just takes a while to travel.  If someone needed haven or a ride from Sac airport, those are possibilities also.
Have fun.

Reply:

Jim, you expressed a desire to possibly work on the PCT.  From personal experience, I can heartily say that this is an excellent way to angel PCT users, in its own way, as your actions allow you to provide benefits for ALL hikers and equestrians that pass by the area you helped improve for many years (and you can bring a cooler of goodies for when you're actually out there on trail crew, especially if it happens to coincide with thru hiker season).

The PCTA site has an excellent way to find out what volunteer trail projects are in your area.  Click on the "volunteer" button right at the top of the PCTA page, then scroll down a bit and click on "Find a Project" in the "Trail Crew Volunteers" section.  There are both map and text based ways to sort through the currently listed projects.  Also remember to check back frequently as projects are constantly being added (our local PCTA crew up here in Washington won't have all of our trips posted until May, for example).  It would appear that there are several projects up either I-80 or US 50 from Sacramento that may suit you.  If none of them do, I'd suggest getting on the PCTA volunteer mailing list to receive notices of projects in your area.

Also - if you're willing to travel, there typically are projects up and down the length of the trail that are extended enough to make driving a ways worthy of the time it takes to get there.  It would appear there is a multi-day car camp trip up where the PCT crosses I-5, about a 3 hour drive from Sacramento, for example.  It might be worth your time to head up that way, for example, especially if you can plan to combine a section hike with a bit of trail crew time.