[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 64, Issue 31

Cari and Pete Tucker pct2010video at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:58:51 CDT 2013

Sonora Pass would be the last place you can pick up a bear can going Sobo
and remain legal, as you get into the northern part of Yosemite, where
canisters are required, shortly thereafter.  It's a bit of a hassle getting
down to Kennedy Meadows (north) and back, although the staff there is
definitely hiker friendly.

However, you might consider getting your can as far north as Sierra City.
When we were going SoBo (on a flip strategy) in 2010, we got a bear in camp
at 4:00 AM when we were cowboy camping on the trail near one of the Lake
Tahoe ski areas, about two days north of Echo Lake.   Fortunately, I woke
up before he got into our food bag, and he fled the scene as soon as I sat
up . . . . but I could have reached out and touched him. . . which is much
too close for comfort.

-Sheepdog