[pct-l] Getting separated

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 21:56:26 CDT 2013

So true. I had read *Over the Edge*, the book about all the different ways
people have died in the Grand Canyon, and *Off the Cliff*, which covers the
same dark stories for Yosemite, and again and again, STAY TOGETHER, is the
lesson to be learned.  So then, on my last section hike, since we both had
cell phones and sporadic network contact and I had GPS, I figured it was
okay to violate the rule and go off trail, then circle back later and catch
my partner.  My partner's cell phone ran out of battery power, the map
underlying my GPS wasn't up to date, and we both ended up hiking an extra
four miles before we got back together.  No big deal, no great pain, but
enough anxiety to remind me that the rule applies even to those who
heedlessly think technology lifts them above the rules.
Manzanita

--
Ronald D. Graybill
Riverside, CA