[pct-l] sage advice

Junaid Dawud jdawud at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 13:51:30 CDT 2013

Greetings!

I don't normally chime in on the list, but I would like to here.

I totally agree. The "dangers" that people talk about on the PCT are rarely if ever encountered. The animals aren't anything to worry about, neither is how much snow there is, or how little water there may be on this stretch or that. Your daily concerns will be finding a great place for lunch and siesta, deciding what to cook for dinner, and whether to cowboy camp or put up a shelter "just in case".

Don't get me wrong, you'll have some crap days, face some scary moments, and freak yourself out with an almost or lightly twisted ankle a few times. Sh*t happens, but mostly its no big deal.

As a 2 time finisher (2006/07 almost thru/completion, 2010 thru), my best advice is:

1 - Get a copy of the water report and then you can plan your water carrying pretty easily. That is one of the biggest things you'll be thinking about (logistically) for the first few weeks. Also get Halfmile maps if you don't already. And yogi's handbook.

2 - Endeavour to enjoy every moment, keep your head up, your eyes open, your ears tuned, and your breath deep.

3 - Be aware of each footfall to avoid the rolling ankle. Your gait will change, try to be in control of how it changes.

4 - Start slow, don't push too hard to soon. Try to let your body adjust to becoming an endurance athlete that weighs 20-30 pounds more than normal. It takes weeks not days.

5 - Ignore the naysayers, take the hype with a grain of salt. Be prepared, not paranoid.

6 - Be open to learning new techniques and tricks and trying new ways of doing things. Be open to all the newness you can take.

7 - Be wary of people on the Internet that want to give you advice, particularly if it comes in numbered lists.

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 2013!!!!!!

----Speshul 41