[pct-l] Ultralight tents

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 16:03:13 CDT 2013

In 2010 we were snowed on three times in the deserts and southern mountains
in April and May and had several days of rain as well.  The coldest nights
on trail were in the deserts and that counts 5 weeks of negotiating a lot
of snow in the High Sierra.  It wasn't as cold to me up there than it was
much further south.  You may not need a tent if you're lucky, but most of
us used ours at least a few times.  When you need it, it could be that you
really need it.  The deserts in CA are not all heat and dry in April and
May.  They are high desert with much higher mountain sections where it
really gets cold even though you're looking down at the lights of LA or
Palm Springs.  Treat them like any other 9,000 foot mountains you'd hike
anywhere else in early spring.

Shroomer