[pct-l] Section B Questions

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:19:28 CDT 2013

Hey Fritz,

While I can't speak specifically to Section B in late season, I did hike
Sections C and D in early Oct. in 2010 and water was not an issue.  It was
a higher water year than you've got now, still I had to be careful not to
pass my sources and to carry a bit more than in the spring.  The smaller
surface streams  were often dried up, but it was doable.  Every year there
are quite a number of Sobos who make it over section B at the end of the
year.

As school was back in session, pretty much the only people I met on trail
were occasional Sobo thrus.  I hiked without seeing people for 3 and 4 days
at a time through some parts, but the desert itself was gorgeous.  The
weather in early Oct is usually wonderful and I even got a dusting of snow
on the higher points although it melted quickly.  Nights were freezing but
the hiking during the day was really exhilarating, warm to cool and
refreshing.  Weather wise it's one of the best seasons in the desert.  It
just doesn't have as much surface water as it does in the spring.  All the
springs were still in action, it just didn't flow very far from the spring
before drying up.

I would figure that you've got to do a bit of figuring in terms of water,
and maybe even cache a few gallons hidden for yourself at crucial spots,
but lots of people do section B every year on their way to the finish, just
when you'll be hiking, so there is a way to do it safely.  Plan on it.
 Maybe someone will chime in with the specific info you've asked for.

Good luck hiking both sections.

Shroomer