[pct-l] Looking for ~100 mile section that is transportation accessible

surferskir at aol.com surferskir at aol.com
Thu Apr 18 22:31:00 CDT 2013

Another bueatiful section.  Fly into Mammoth from San Francisco/Bay area (or Reno) take the CREST bus to Lone Pine.  Hitchhike up to Horsehoe Meadows (23 miles).  Begin hike up Trail pass (2 miles) to intercept the PCT.  Hike north on PCT.  At ~18 miles, it joins the John Muir Trail at Crabtree Meadows (starting point for western ascent of Mt WHitney, if you want).  Then continue north on the JMT/PCT to Bullfrog Lake area.  Turn right, and proceed over Kearsarge Pass, down to Onion Valley trailhead.  Hitchhike to Independence, CA.  Catch the CREST Bus back to Mammoth Lakes or Reno airport.
This route of about 48 miles takes you over the highest Point on the PCT (Forester Pass), and other breathtaking scenery. SHould be very doable in 7 days of easy hiking.  Not fast pace like most PCT through hikers trying to do 15-20 miles a day.

Believe me get your permits from Nation Forest Service, not the Nation Park Service.  Much easier, and if you start in a NF, then permit is good for National Parks, too.  The quotas in Horsehoe meadows are realtively generous, since there are three trails out of Horseshoe Meadows (Cottonwood Pass; Trail Pass; or Muolkey pass.  All intercept the PCT within 2 to 5 miles of hiking..

--Dennis--