[pct-l] Best stove?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 02:57:59 CDT 2013

I also use the Robinson Cat Can Stove or something like it for many years
on many trips.  It's simple to use, easy to make and it works well.  I've
tried others, but have always gone back to the Robinson style.  That being
said, I went stoveless for 4 1/2 months on the CDT last year and never
missed the cooked food except when we got to the Winds and the Porcini were
busting out everywhere.  They are good just eaten as an apple on trail, but
are much better when cooked.  Luckily we had one person on the section who
had a stove and we fried up some, but I'd have carried a frying pan for a
real porcini sauté.

What I liked best about going stove less, however, was the ease of dining
after a long days hike.  I began soaking my dinner just after lunch.  After
knocking out a 25 to 30 mile day, and getting to camp just as it was
beginning to rain, I'd just pitch my tent and snuggle in for the evening
with my dinner all ready to eat.  I had no messing with a stove and pot and
cooking.  It was a really liberating experience, and I found I really liked
my home dried and soaked meals.  I looked forward to them.

When backpacking for shorter distances and shorter time frames, a nice hot
meal with friends sometimes around a campfire is really fun, and part of
the daily experience.  When I'm thru hiking however, the days are all about
the walking.  It just gets to feel so good, and you want to do it for long
hours.  The meals become secondary for me out there.  You need every
calorie you can get, but the form of them becomes much less important than
just getting them.  In town you pig out on as many great meals as you can
find and afford.  But on trail walking becomes primary for me and not
having to deal with a stove was great.

Shroomer