[pct-l] Earliest start date from BLYC

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 17 12:49:11 CDT 2013

Good morning, Running Beer,

If you have a look at the snowpack report at:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl you will see that most of
Oregon has average or less snowpack – except for that one heavier blue
patch right on top of Big Lake – so the later in July you start the better.
Many hikers start from the Cal/Or border around that time, but that area is
functionally several weeks ahead in the snowmelt season.

Unfortunately, beginning at Santiam Pass, just north of Big Lake, the PCT
starts to climb to skirt the slopes of Three-Fingered Jack and Mt.
Jefferson, and there is a good possibility of finding considerable snow
pack until well down the north side of Park Ridge which is almost to
Breitenbush Lake.  After that you should be OK.

Washington seems to be a bit above average in snowpack, but the residual
should be manageable by the time you arrive in August sometime.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/