[pct-l] June snow in Tahoe

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 17 02:23:22 CDT 2013

Kristy,

Since Mountain Education runs a lot of its winter trips out of Echo
trailhead and I work nearby as a ski patrolman, I've got a clue on this one!

Right now there is about 3 feet of snow in the Desolation backcountry and it
appears to be consolidating fast. Although the trail is still covered above
7,000, the lower lakes are melting out. If the weather warms up during the
day with lots of sunshine while the nights fail to reach freezing, the thaw
will start early in the sierra and your start date should be almost
snow-free!

Your problem in this area and north will be more the navigation challenges
where the snow remains in the trees. However, if the patches and drifts are
small (less than house-sized in diameter), you'll be able to locate the
trail where it emerges out the other side and navigate just fine.

Many people get lost when trails disappear under snow and they don't have
the experience to know how to find it, especially in the trees. There are
numerous "tricks" you can do to "sniff-out" where the trail went and as you
go, you'll learn them. Better to find out how before you're on your own.

You won't need an ice axe! Because it is so easy to slip on any size of snow
patch or field, especially in the mornings when the snow is hard, we always
carry hiking crampons to maintain our balance and peace of mind whenever we
suspect snow ahead. However, we also always have in hand the self-arrest
hiking pole made by Black Diamond called a Whippet. I have slipped and
fallen on narrow (near to far) but long (right to left) snow drifts across
the trail (think coming down from Dicks Pass) in the soft afternoons and had
to self-arrest to keep from hitting the rocks below. I'm always glad I have
my Whippet pole in-hand!

Regarding the sierra thaw, you'll be in the right place! The creeks are
shorter in the northern sierra, thus their sizes and melt volumes are less
than in the southern, higher sierra, so your creek crossings will not be
difficult at your time of year. Good news.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org