[pct-l] Feathered Friends sleeping bags

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 16 18:59:30 CDT 2013

Marie,
You really cannot go wrong with Western Mountaineering, Nunatak, or Feathered Friends. All are *good* bags/quilts but not considered the very best. (You would look elsewhere for a custom made, eiderdown bag and the price would scare most people, 2000-5000 USD for starters.) It depends on what style, what features, shell materials, etc. Personally, I lean to the Pertex Quantum in .8 oz because that what is in my bag (7 years old and still going strong,) but, that is pure personal prejudice because I own one, ha, hey. Feel free to ignore that part. I have a couple others, too at different temp ratings, but, I think I need to get rid of my winter bags. Too old to be out at -20F anymore.

I question whether the so called 900 fill is actually worth the difference. Especially on a longer distance hike. It tends to lose loft a little more rapidly than say 750 fill with any bodily oils, dust and moisture. This is assuming you don't get the down wet. It degrades a lot more than even 600fill if it gets wet. (This is where the pertex really shines, it sheds water really well, so this is not usually a problem unless you swim with it.) On a through, you don't get a chance to wash a bag that often, so, about half the time, it will be performing less well than a lower quality bag. But, the higher quality fill is also lighter. An equivalent weight of overfill will likely avoid the problem, but this will likely cost dearly and not save any weight. Anyway, this is debatable and a bit of a fine point. Research that stuff if you like, make your own decision. Jordan (at BPL) did some studies that showed that loft is not the *only* component of insulating value. Density also helps, even at the same loft. You need to purchase a membership to read the actual study and resulting discussions, though. Often, the discussions have a lot of points not made in the actual study.

Also, check http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ They might have some recommendations for bags. Note these are mostly good reviews, so if they are not real positive, glowing reviews, be careful.

My thoughts only . . .
	jdm