[pct-l] Hiking Poles on Planes

Frederick Baier frederickbaier at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 18:30:12 CDT 2013

Aloha Rhiannon,

I've been traveling with hiking poles on planes with zero/zero issues for well over a year--both interisland and around the mainland. I'd just recommend you (obviously) collapse them if you can, if for no other reason than to fit them into the overheads. And it'd probably be best if they have rubber tips--simply to avoid begging undue interest from well-meaning TSA folks.  As background, I did ask a TSA official and was assured it was no problem. People get on planes with walking sticks and canes all the time, apparently trekking poles fit into that category. I take mine along with me simply because I think they're an easily 'pilferable' item--my decision unfortunately shaped by having had a few negative experiences over the years with stuff missing from luggage.
Cheers, Fritz
Aiea, Hawaii