[pct-l] Winter vs Summer Bag?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 16 15:30:27 CDT 2013

Here's what I might try. If you have a support person at home you can
always change this plan. If not, you could try bouncing the other
sleeping bag up the trail a bit until you are sure. But this is how I
might try it:

Mexico to South Lake Tahoe: Use the 10 degree bags.
South Lake Tahoe to mid-September: Use the 30/40 degree bags.
Mid-September to Canada: Use the 10 degree bags unless you feel like
you're so trail hardened and the weather is nice enough that you do
not need them.

The 10 degree bags are way overkill for much of the trail, but you
can always stick an arm or foot out if you are hot. And it's mostly
pretty darn cold in So Cal so the warmth will be appreciated. In the
height of summer, 10 degree bags would be very unpleasant. I remember
quite a few nights in Nor Cal where I slept outside my 20 degree bag
until about 1am, then got inside.

If you only wanted to do a single bag and not bother with mailing
them around, I'd go with the lighter ones and just plan to sleep with
all my jackets and rain gear on super cold nights and have a handful
of uncomfortable nights. It really would only be a handful.