[pct-l] eTrails now Available

David Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Mon Apr 15 19:13:39 CDT 2013

I'm delighted to announce a free new iPhone/iPad app called eTrails that
presently covers California Sections A-C and E of the PCT.  You can
download it from the App Store now.

eTrails 1.1 provides a wealth of situational awareness on the trail.  It
has databook, moving map, elevation profile, and guidebook views of the
trail.  The map displays your location, the trail and many side trails, and
hundreds of points of interest overlaid on USGS base maps so that you do
not need cell coverage.  Waypoints are hyperlinked between the various
views.

I hope to have data for the rest of Southern California entered by the time
most thru-hikers reach Section C.

I get about 1.5 days of heavy use out of eTrails on a iPhone 5 and 1 day on
a iPhone 3gs.  I hope you'll find that it transcends the capabilities a
GPS.  With an external battery for recharging, it can also serve many of
the functions of a guidebook.  However, eTrails does not replace paper maps
or common sense.

I gathered the data last summer while hiking Sections A-J, and have spent a
tremendous amount of time since then developing the app. There are many
known typos in the trail descriptions and features remaining on the to-do
list, but the app is functional and I wanted to make it available to the
community. There is one known bug that the app crashes when you try to zoom
to your position on a map before obtaining a GPS fix; this has been fixed
and will be gone in the next release. I would appreciate feedback very
much. Please post your glowing praise to the App Store and send your bug
reports and feature requests directly to me!

Happy hiking,

David Money Harris