[pct-l] Winter vs Summer Bag?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 17:59:04 CDT 2013

Hi Julie,

I would go with the 30 degree bag for your entire hike.  I always also bring a Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner (it is good for about 9 degrees of added warmth and keeps the inside of my bag clean as well). On a warm night I sleep in the liner on top of the bag - if it turns cooler during the night, I just slip into the bag. I also sleep cold. If it is cold I also wear my long johns and some of my clothes as well - you will have them along anyway.  Layers work very well. I use a 48'' long Thermarest self-inflating air mattress. It is 1.5" thick when inflated. You can adjust that, determined by how much air you puff inside after it self-inflates  I am careful that there is nothing sharp under. I have never had a puncture during over six months on the PCT. I usually sleep in a Hubba  tent without the rain fly on. The insect netting keeps the critters out.

Have a great hike.

MendoRider-Hiker