[pct-l] It's all about the gear. :)

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 14 11:46:55 CDT 2013

Three "gear" quotes come to mind...

"I love [my boots] with a passion that borders on the indecent...  When
you're way to hell and gone out there, you're nearly as dependent upon your
equipment as is a mountain climber. You will love a sleeping bag that keeps
you snug in a camp swept by a freak cold front;  you will hate a raincoat
that soaks through; you will cherish a tent that holds up through a howling
storm; you will despise a cookstove that won't light in the rain, or that
coughs and sputters in the cold.  We're not just talking things here, we're
talking serious relationships."    -    Hank Burchard, "Winter in the
Woods,"   Washington Post. Jan 3, 1986.

"Do not be in a hurry to spend money on new inventions.  Every year there is
put upon the market some patent knapsack, folding stove, cooking utensil, or
camp trunk and cot combined; and there are always for sale patent knives,
forks and spoons all in one, drinking cups, folding portfolios, and marvels
of tools.  Let them all alone."     -   John M. Gould, How to Camp Out,
1877.

"In Gear I trust."    -  Yosemite Ranger Mary Litell Hinson,  quoted in
Ranger Confidential, by Andrea Lankford

Dr Bob