[pct-l] foreign national arriving in US for PCT. My experience yesterday with US Customs and Border Protection

Gideon Scher gideonscher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 11:19:13 CDT 2013

Hi to all foreign nationals entering the US for the PCT. Some friendly
words of advice after entering the US yesterday and requesting (and
receiving) a 180 day duration of stay from US Customs and Border Protection
(CBP).

I entered yesterday at San Francisco International with a valid B1/B2
tourist visa, arriving 2 weeks before KO to spend some time with family in
the Bay Area. (I am aware that most PCT-ers will enter in San Diego but
putting this out there just in case). The CBP officer referred me to a
secondary inspection area after my request to be granted a 180 day stay to
hike the trail. He had not heard of the PCT. In the secondary inspection
area were two very polite CBP officers who also had not heard of the PCT.
They did not automatically grant my request. They requested to see (1) a
return ticket, looked at (2) printed financial bank statements proving that
I had funds to support my hike, looked at (3) a letter from my employer at
home regarding my eligibility to return to my job after the PCT. (4) I
showed them my PCT permit, (5) appeared to be reassured when I told them I
had a family member who was a citizen where I could stay if needed.

Bottom line - be prepared for CBP officers who do not know about the PCT.
Have with you *all the documents you can* that will help you get those 180
days (and help CBP officers to help you) I suggest not to be negligent
about this issue and not to assume that you are just gonna get the long
stay. Of course, it goes without saying that all the CBP officers I
encountered were polite and professional, not aggressive or intimidating.
So that is my experience. Yours may be simpler :-)

G.