[pct-l] Sleeping with food

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 23:48:06 CDT 2013

One of my friends had problems with a skunk that unzipped a their tent in
Guadalupe National Park.  They had a difficult dilemma in trying to
encourage the skunk to leave without getting "skunked."

I have been personally awakened twice to a bear sniffing loudly just
outside my tenting.  An experience I will never forget.  Once had a bear
wake me up trying to climb a tree to get to my bear hang (was
unsuccessful).

All parties survived, no one was skunked, but my friend did have to give up
a slice of bread to get the skunk to leave.

I personally do not keep food in my tent and either hang it, use bear
lockers where available (will use the required bear canister on the PCT),
and in the desert have stuck it in a patch of prickly pear cactus.  The
bear canister is definitively not odor-proof, as my evil cat diligently
tried to get into it.  But it is definitely cat-proof (and she is very
tenacious), and borderline Kristin-proof.

Cheers!