[pct-l] Sleeping with food - different perspectives

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Apr 11 12:05:22 CDT 2013

I would NOT sleep with my food. Even with an OP sack, this can be
personally dangerous. I would not recommend this in any case. With
"jaded" bears, even hanging can be unwise. My thoughts only . .
______________________________________

I think many persons start a thru- or section-hike for the first time
with this perspective.  And I'm sure some actually carry it through.

My experience of meeting lots and lots of hikers during my section hikes
is that almost everyone sleeps with their food.  Most heated water and
ate when they got to camp.

To be sure the sections where a cannister is required is different.

I found rodents to be more of a problem than bears.  As said many times
here, the majority of the PCT passes through country where bears are
hunted, making the ones that aren't killed very shy of humans.  You are
lucky to see a bear.  In the seven weeks of my last section hike I saw
eight bears in Washington and Oregon. Some were at a distance.  The
couple that actually experienced me lit out with great speed.

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD