[pct-l] blood sucking mosquitoes

Keith Kurko kwkurko at comcast.net
Wed Apr 10 12:48:45 CDT 2013

With all due respect Danny, the reason those "early season mosquito swarms"
in the air are ignoring you is that they are not mosquitoes.  The swarms you
are referring to are non-biting midges scientifically known as chironomids.
Their larvae are aquatic and they live in the mud on the bottom of lakes and
sluggish streams.  Chironomids do not possess the necessary piercing mouth
parts to puncture skin and bite people, even if they wanted to (and they
have no interest).  And mosquitoes do not swarm together randomly in the
air.  They swarm around people and other warm blooded prey.

Chironomids are related to mosquitoes and at first glance look a lot like
them.  But closer examination reveals they are different.

Here is a photo of a male chironomid with his feathery or plumose antennae:
http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info/image_files/0000/0001/2894/chir
onomus_zealandicus__common_midge-2.JPG

Here is a female chironomid:
http://www.davidkennardphotography.com/photos/829-Chironomid-fly.xhtml

And here is a female mosquito with her prominent proboscis for biting.  That
is the most distinguishing and easiest physical difference to discern.
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/mosquito6a.jpg

I am less certain about the identity of the insects that Shepherd is
referring to in her tent.  But I suspect they are mosquitoes because
chironomids have absolutely no interest in associating with humans.  If that
is the case, I would recommend trying to nail them before you fall asleep
because they may nail you when you are asleep!

If you are interested in a little more natural history info see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

K2 in Seattle

Message: 4