[pct-l] Sawyer Gravity Filtration

Byron Nevins byron.nevins at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 16:33:50 CDT 2013

The system I used on my JMT thru-hike last year was fast, effortless and
light.

Take any *collapsible* bottle, fill it with "dirty" water and attach
directly to the "dirty" end of the filter.  I recommend Platypus, but the
Sawyer bag is ok.  I like to put this input water bag on top of a boulder
or anything handy that's 4' off the ground or so.

Now you can just start collecting the water at the outlet.  But to speed
things along I took the long drinking tube from the platypus and attached
it to the outlet of the sawyer (with attached Sawyer adapter piece).  This
gave me a 3 or 4 foot pressure head.
I collected it into my 2.3oz. 1 gallon water jug.

I  used a 2-l Platypus so I had to refill once.  Very little effort needed.
 By the time I had my camp setup, I had a gallon of water ready to go!

I'm thinking of going to the hardware store and getting much lighter tubing
and working everything out for this summer.  I came up with the above
on-the-trail. The platypus hose is far too thick for what's needed here.