[pct-l] New to PCT

jason povey golobos_55 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 21:57:15 CDT 2013

I sent out an email to the group earlier this week but recieved no response but I am not sure if I sent it to the correct address.  My girlfriend and I will be hiking the Oregon section of the PCT this summer, starting around July 20th.  I have hiked all over the southwest but the farthest north I have strapped a back on is a redwoods trip I did when I was about 20 (im now 35).  The questions I have are; is it worth brining my whisper lite and jet boil? Most cooking will be dehydrated meals but I also will be fly fishing which brings me to another about fishing and keepin a fish occasionally for dinner, is it kosher?; I have always used a good pair of running shoes to hike in, I find they are lighter, dry quicker and easier on the knees and back.  Yea or Nay with the PCT?  I have nearly all the gear I can think of which I would need but again I have been hiking the grand canyon and deserts in Utah and New Mexico.  I recently bought a pair of water
 resistant hiking pants that unzip for shorts.  Both of our packs are either water proof or have a cover.  I have dry compression bags for the sleeping bags from river trips.  Any other major thing that I will need (there are of course other small things I have such as survival gear, first aid, compass, maps).; How long should we plan on taking to hike the Oregon stretch, by my estimates, with a few rest days we should be able to do it in around 40 days without too much stress; Finally, I am doing this hike for a foundation I started for athletes, from football to mountain biking, that have suffered head trauma.  I will bore you with the details but below are links if you care to read what this is all about.  I am sure I will have many more questions once I start to really put things together and am glad that I have the oportunity to reach out to such a great community.  Thanks, Jason

Facebook Page  https://www.facebook.com/HeadStrongAthletes#!/HeadStrongAthletes

Blog: http://headstrongfoundation.blog.com/2013/02/18/head-strong/

Both of those pages have links to the donation site.  I am not asking anyone on here to donate, just for some good advice on how to get through this with the least amount of things that can and surely will go wrong.