[pct-l] Solar Chargers

Tim Gustafson tjg at tgustafson.com
Fri Apr 5 12:09:49 CDT 2013

> I carry a Samsung Galaxy S.  I carry 2 or 3 extra batteries and a lite
> weight wall charger (get them off eBay).  I do not leave the phone on
> unless I need the GPS or I'm in town making calls.  This way the
> batteries last several weeks without charging.  Weight wise this is a
> very light option.  Every time I've thought about using solar chargers I
> get hung up with the weight and the hassle of hanging it on my backpack.

Unfortunately, I have an Android phone whose battery is not removable.  :\

But yes, leaving it turned off when I'm not using it would certainly
help, except when I want to snap a photo for uploading to Facebook
later.  So, I could use airplane mode, or sleep mode, but even in
either of those two states I tend to get less than 24 hours out of a
charge.

Blarg.  :)

--

Tim Gustafson