[pct-l] What Sections of the Trail Should I prepare for Mosquitos the most

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 09:25:33 CDT 2013

________________________________
 From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: Mark Halverstadt <markhalverstadt at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] What Sections of the Trail Should I prepare for Mosquitos the most

Hey Mark,

The good news is that you don't really have to be eaten by mosquitoes. It's a matter of choice. Since, if you aspire to thru-hike the PCT, mosquitoes are unavoidable as you pass through or can't avoid camping in many places that are infested.  It is best to be prepared by wearing insect repellant clothes - whether you go with the ExOfficio route (socks, pants shirt, and cap with cape) or properly treat your own
 clothes as one poster described (by soaking in Permethrin - more effective than spraying). Also bring along Deet. I wore the ExOfficio clothes and had no problems. I used the Deet to protect my face and the cape could be buttoned below my chin to protect my neck. I did pass
 through the Sky Lakes Wilderness when the mosquitoes were swarming. And, I'd like to point out that I always had to seek out places to camp where there was grass for my horse - these are places that would also, often, have mosquitoes.  I sometimes observed hikers who were miserable.  I felt sorry for them.

I did the best I could to protect my horse with a blanket and by applying Deet in the most sensitive places - head, neck, ears, his belly.

Where I did have a problem was when I entered my tent, first having unzipped the "door" and tossed what I wanted inside. Of course, insects would come in. Then, my nightly ritual was to kill all of the insects that were inside. Then I could undress for sleep. My tent was an MSR Hubba. I usually only set up the inner insect screen part. That was very effective.

MendoRider-Hiker