[pct-l] low snow year - snow instruction clinic still necessary?

Matt Signore mpsignore at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 07:57:14 CDT 2013

I think that a snow travel course is a great idea.  The price sounds right.
 However, don't spend that money with someone who is not recognized as an
instructor by the AMGA and or the IFMGA.  You can hire a fully certified
guide for 1 full day of 1 on 1 instruction for that same money.

Just because a person has taken a snow travel course does not mean they are
capable of teaching the technique to others.  There are people that have
taken courses with a self proclaimed "mountain expert" that is active on
this very list.  Oddly enough when that person tried to teach people how to
ford streams he had to be rescued by his class.  I am sure all his "student
rescuers" felt they wasted their time.  I would recommend not to spend your
money on unqualified instruction.

Here is a few certified guide services that provide instruction and or
certification programs to become a guide:

Sierra Mountaineering International - 760.872.4929
American Alpine Institute                 360.671.1505

Matt Signore
pcthandbook.com

--
Matt Signore