[pct-l] Detaching

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 4 19:23:33 CDT 2013

I had planned not to bring a phone because I never carry one when
backpacking anyway, but I forgot to mail it to my first resupply. I
was just going to bounce it up the trail and use it when I got to
town. But it turned out to be nice to have it with me. It was just a
basic phone, not an iPhone. And since payphones are a lot less common
these days, I was glad to have it. I kept it turned off when not in
use and only used it when I had service and wanted to make a call. A
couple times I called my partner and asked him to do google searches
over the phone for me or to see if he could get gear replaced for me
before I got to the next town. Very handy. It's not so intrusive that
it made me feel all "attached" or took away from the wilderness
experience. More like it was a tool to facilitate my hike a little
better. It's a long time out there and just becomes ordinary life, so
something like a phone that's always off really isn't an intrusion at
all.