[pct-l] Quilt vs sleeping bag

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Apr 4 18:08:23 CDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Katherine <ihearttrail at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've scoured the internet, and still have a hard time figuring out the
> true difference and pros/cons of a sleeping bag versus a quilt. We would
> love to hear about your experiences dealing with one versus the other.

Here is my take on it.

When I am hiking alone, I use a sleeping bag.

When I am hiking with a partner with whom I want the skin contact,
then the shared warmth under quilt makes it worthwhile, as the quilt
weighs less than 2 sleeping bags, AND it is more enjoyable. Jardine is
the reasons the quilt fad started, and I believe he was always hiking
with his wife.

I would not carry a quilt while hiking solo.

HYOH, YMMV