[pct-l] Guide Books?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:51:29 CDT 2013

Mark wrote:

Besides maps, do you (did you) plan to carry any sections of a guide book
while hiking? If so what book are you planning on taking? Past Hiker please
chime in on any useful guide books or sections that helped you out, or if
you think carrying more anything more than maps is a waste of energy.

I like to carry sections of the Wilderness Press PCT Guidebooks.  While
they're really not necessary for navigation in the age of HalfMile's maps
and others, they still have a lot of interesting color commentary.  Some
people hate the Guidebooks for exactly that reason but I've always enjoyed
knowing something about the history, geology, and botany of the areas I'm
walking through.  HalfMile's maps are pretty much all that's required to get
you from point A to point B, however.

Eric