[pct-l] Ultralight as a must?

Stefan Rinnert stefanrinnert at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 29 04:48:41 CDT 2012

Dear all,

somehow we are a bit confused about the gear we are planning to take with
me for the pct-hike. we thought we had found the "right way" for us, but
this UL-thing keeps coming back into our minds. we'll hike as a couple and
therefore are able to share some weight/gear. beside our packs (osprey
aether 70 and ariel 65, each 4 - 4,5 lbs; both packs that fit our expected
needs, and our tent which weighs little less than 4 lbs) we try to keep the
total gear weight very low and aim to reach a total of round about 14-18
lbs excluding pack (empty), food and water. since the PCT-community in
germany is from non existing to not so big, we feel somehow helpless and
intimidated by this "ultralite monstrum". Beyond, we cannot assess the
impact of weight+ total distance.
alltogether, the chosen gear might be a result of cautiuosness: tent as
protection against insects, snakes and the "heavy" backpack due to health
considerations even though we`re 24&26 and fit :)

we're thankful for suggestions, comments and experiences!

regards,

stefan