[pct-l] Monetary contributions

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 16:02:57 CDT 2012

Yogi,

Actually, the quote was "most hikers were generous with their monetary contributions", not "many hikers were generous with their monetary contributions.  The implications are distinct, since "many" can include "most" within it's ambit,

While "most" denotes more than half of the herd passing through; "many" is more inclusive and can include a range of participation from more than a few to almost all of those involved. Since use of the word "most", rather than many, also communicates that only a minority did not so contribute, that is implicitly part of the message being communicated. That you, yourself, unconsciously chose to utilize "many", instead of "most" in defending the post illustrates the point.

In fact, Lost and Found may have been accurate, and most were generous. It just comes off sounding judgmental even if that wasn't the post's intent. Once again, it really demonstrates the limitations of the medium which is unforgiving of posts which can be construed more than one way. There is no contemporaneous feed back as with an actually conversation.

Of interest, is the apparent inconsistency, if any, of your post with advice in the hand book about donations to trail angels. The refrain regarding donations is pretty strongly worded in that source. My take is that hikers before hitting the trail should be financially prepared to pay their own way and make a realistic appraisal of the costs involved.  My donations to the Joe and Terri, as well as Donna, led to donations jars that were inconspicuous to the point that you had to ask in order to donate.  On the other hand, while hiking I observed hikers who had ample means avoiding contributions.

Two in particular come to mind from Trout Lake. I was provided accommodation in a furnished duplex across the street from the general store.  The store was doing me a favor as I had to see a doctor for an ear infection, they didn't ask for payment, but I insisted. They would only take $20.00.  The store told them they could share the quarters if I didn't mind and of course I didn't. But no donation or payment from them was volunteered  while at the same time they loudly complained that the local campground charged $17.00 a night and that Shrek in Cascade Locks had a donations jar and "expected" contributions. Now, this wouldn't bother me except they made clear they weren't financially pressed and one casually mentioned finding a job after the hike wouldn't be an issue since she was an RN. The sad thing about this is that it doesn't necessarily mean that they were freeloading, but equally or more likely clueless and tone deaf.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was unexpected at the time, but has proved a truism. "When confronted with apparent malfeasance, assume misfeasance" What we often assume to be deliberate or intentional in its effect is most often unintentional.  This only confirms what I learned as an undergraduate studying international relations.  Most wars are caused by mid perception.

My two cents.

Gourmet