[pct-l] Introduction/Finish/Fires

Lisa Peru lisaperu2011 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:21:56 CDT 2012

Indeed, I am currently reclining in the Backpackers Hostel in Vancouver, having finished just yesterday with Moose, Gourmet (Seattle instance), Rabbit, Scalpel, Estero, Train and more. It was epic, and I'm also excited that Dan is gonna go hiking!!! Dan need not be treated with kid gloves, he can handle himself.

Fire bans/closures: I read this list as often as I can while I hike, but that's not too often. There is scant signal in the woods, and none at all for me north of Skykomish. When I heard about the ban, I told every hiker I saw with a campfire. They were surprised. We saw no signs at trail heads, or even at ranger stations. Go figure. Also, be careful with assumptions about who camps where. Backwoods areas are frequented by more people than you might think. For example, I saw more hunters than thru hikers since elk and deer season opened.

We also doused an abandoned smoldering campfire surrounded by plentiful dry fuels, in an area used hard by weekenders and riders. Who knows who lit it, how long it smoldered, or how much forest it would have destroyed. I'm just glad we found it and killed it in time. I've heard similar stories from several other thru hikers.

Peru

Sent from my iPhone