[pct-l] JETBOIL WEIGHT - Correction

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 13:13:20 CDT 2012

Hello Jim,

In fairness, and in due respect to your honest intentions, I feel obligated to correct the inaccurate weight that you posted. I was not either "lying" nor was I  trying to mislead. I always try my best to do the right thing - to tell the truth.  In my post on this list I gave the weight of my Jetboil as being 6.5 ounces. Being weight conscious, as we all are. I remembered that the weight of just the stove, including the stabilizer, was 6.5 ounces. Having read your critical post this morning, I went down to the barn and got my cook kit.  On an accurate postal scale (weighs envelopes up to 16 ounces), I weighed my Jetboil stove with the stabilizer and the 4-point metal thing (included with the stove) that you set your pot on. It weighs 6.75 ounces. So, my memory was off by .25 oz. But you said that the lightest Jetboil weighs 8.5 oz. - NOT including the stabilizer, but including the cooking cup. What would it weigh if that 8.5 oz. included the
 stabilizer but Not the cooking cup? It might be even lighter than mine - but I do not know. Got to compare apples with apples.

Now, for your interest, I will describe the rest of my cooking kit. I carry two pots. The first, and the one that I use most often, is a one pint Cascade brand, stainless steel cup. I have owned and used it for over 40 years. I am very attached to it - it is an old friend! The Jetboil stove fits perfectly inside during storage. The Cascade cup weighs 3.5 oz. My Jetboil collapsible fork and spoon weigh .75 oz. The Jetboil 1.5 cooking pot, including the fold-away insulated handles, the cozy, the bottom protector, and the top cover/dinner plate, weigh11.5 oz. My MSR insulated gripper (I use it for the cup rather than the one supplied by Cascade) weighs in at 1.0 oz. My very substantial wind screen (Made from three layers of the thick aluminum foil used by caterers) weighs 1.5 oz. So, the grand total of all of the above is 25 ounces - or one pound 9 oz.  Added to that, during the past two summers, I have included a small MSR Teflon-coated frying pan.
 It weighs 5.4oz.  It has no handle - I use the MSR gripper. I included the frying pan during my PCT High Sierra ride of the Sections between Horseshoe Meadows and Sierra City.  Donna Saufley had kindly given me a lightweight fishing pole that a hiker had left behind.  I caught several pounds of trout to supplement the food that I carried. While riding I store my cook kit in a 2.0 oz Seattle Sports bucket, which I also sometimes need to carry water for my horse.  NOTE:  All of the weights given above are accurate, carefully weighed on my postal scale.

Respectfully,
MendoRider-Hiker