[pct-l] Alcohol stoves and fire bans

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 17:14:03 CDT 2012

Thatcher,

For those who are dedicated alcoholics your system might be a good choice.  From your description it seems that it is both safer and more fuel efficient than a soda can stove. I like that you can simmer and also that there is a way to shut off the flame and save un-used alcohol. I looked it up on the web. What does the system (combination Trangia with the Klikstand weigh in ounces? How much would the alcohol fuel weigh, including its bottle, if you carried enough to cook both breakfast and dinner for a week? I would like to compare that total weight with my Jetboil stove including the excellent three-leg stabilizer that comes with it ( 6.5 ounces) and one 13 ounce canister (it holds 7.76 ounces of fuel). So, the total weight of just the stove and enough canister fuel to last me a week, cooking both breakfast (Oatmeal and two cups of hot chocolate) and dinner is 19.5 ounces. If you don't need to carry a weeks supply of fuel you can use the
 smaller fuel canister - which only weighs 7 ounces. Then your total weight of stove plus fuel is only 13.5 ounces. I have not tested the small canister as to how many days it would last me but I would guess that it would go at least three days.

MendoRider