[pct-l] mile 738.2 campsite? near Mulkey Pass

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sun Sep 16 15:20:49 CDT 2012

In late August I hiked from Kennedy Mdws to Trail pass, and used the water
source at 736.3 on Half Mile's maps. The spring was good, about a 1/3mile
walk, and there is camping nearby.  I did see the corral junction you
mention at 738.1, but I didn't walk down it. I also took water at Death
Canyon 730.8, and you will need to walk up the meadow to the east, and you
will find a nice spring with a campsite on the south side of the meadow. The
Seasonal creek at 728.1 was dry at the PCT, but I did find water downstream
a 100yds and camped there. There's a nice spring in Beartrap meadow also.
Cow Creek had a few points where you could get water, but it was rather dry.
Cows are everywhere, so a filter is helpful to pump from the tiny springs
and get clean water. Water is very hard to find on this section right
now,and the military jets are a constant noise. They love to fly low up
Death Canyon.  I hiked back to Kennedy Meadows along the old 1970s PCT thru
Mulkey, Tunnel, Ramshorn, Templeton, Long Canyon, Casa Vieja Meadows, and
then east to Beck Meadows and out. Water was easy along the old PCT.
~~~~~~~~~
One of the guidebooks lists a campsite off of a faint corral trail at mile
738.2.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I'm trying to do a short camp and "slackpack" out of the Mulkey pass (near
trail pass) area near Mt. Whiteny and would like to get slightly further
south than Diaz Creek (mile 741)

Also, is there parking at Mulkey Pass Traihead?

Thanks,

Jalan Jalan