[pct-l] Mango/Campy 120914: Repair Holes in Tent

Campy campydog at verizon.net
Fri Sep 14 13:18:28 CDT 2012

Hi Mango:

I haven't had your experience with small holes in the tent roof but I have an idea which just might help:

Equip yourself with the seam sealer, pour a bit of it in the inside of a lid or a cap, but only pour it in about 1/16" deep, or less.

Also equip yourself with a nice 2" or so long nail, and a finishing nail would be ideal.

Pitch the tent in the sunshine and get inside - do this perhaps in the early morning before the heat becomes unbearable.

Now, with the holes illuminated like stars from the sun shining through, begin the laborious task of dipping the head end of the finishing nail in the lid with the seam seal, reach up and just touch the illuminated hole with the sealer end of the nail. I predict that the dot of sealer left behind will bridge the tiny hole and will harden, leaving barely a mark. If the sealer is too volatile and dries without bridging the hole, then you'll have to resort to Duco cement.

'Course you'll have to do this with the zillion holes you might find. The theory of course is to let the sun find the holes, then apply the sealer in a precise manner.

Incidentally, where did I get the idea of the finishing nail and the seam sealer? When I was a kid I worked in a place which put the little red dots on golf balls, just filling the little depressions that are there. One red dot per ball, using ordinary red enamel, and the drop of paint on the nailhead was just right for the job. That's how they did it in the old days.

See ya,

==^=== Campy
Manager, PCTA Trail Projects Database

http://www.trailprojects.com click on PCT
Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!
===^==