[pct-l] Yellow jackets and Epipens on the PCT

Brett Fisher brett.fisher64 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 18:04:10 CDT 2012

I'm not allergic to bees. That said, I've been stung several times on my
thru hike this year.

Once on our first day on the way to Hauser Creek. And twice on the trail
above Deep Creek. There's also an infamous hive a few miles before reaching
the water faucet below Fuller Ridge leaving the San Jacintos, but I wasn't
stung there. I've also received a few stealth stings or bites on my ankles.
This is based on the pain, wound, and swelling I observed later - one in
the Station Fire area, and the other north of Sierra City.

I started observing yellow jackets themselves on a regular basis on the
climb out of the Feather River canyon and on into Northern California.

I know they are here in Oregon just waiting. (I was born and raised here,
and hiked my first hikes here). Waiting to annoy and bite. Rude little
creatures.

-Backtrack