[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Sep 10 08:33:35 CDT 2012

Good morning, Don,

It’s difficult to predict where a hiker will encounter yellow-jacket nests
because they are not necessarily persistent from year to year.  At various
times I’ve passed places where there likely were nests but I haven’t seen
them – only an increase in the number of bees.

It probably helps that I almost always hike alone – almost always – because
the first hiker can tick-off the bees who then sting those following.  The
one time I didn’t hike a substantial distance alone I got stung several
times.

I hiked between Etna and the Cal/Or border with SoJo.  She was just head of
me crossing one of the wooden foot-bridges along Grider Creek on the
approach to Seiad, and in the middle of the bridge she yelled and started
to run.  By that time I was on the bridge and I got nailed myself.  I was
just aggravated, but SoJo began to have an acute systemic reaction so she
took an antihistamine tablet, something that’s is good for hikers to carry.
 Her symptoms persisted so I gave her the tablets that I carried.

My totally-unscientific opinion is that yellow-jackets, and any of their
bee cousins, can smell fear and since I don’t particularly fear them I pass
with a minimum of problems.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/