[pct-l] 14. Lightweight poncho as rain gear? (Cat Gunderson)

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 19:48:34 CDT 2012

Ponchos work well.  We use mid-weight (6-8 oz) (from Campmor) because the 3oz ponchos tear too easily. My husband and I help each other put the ponchos on over our packs. If it's windy, we tuck the back into each other's pack straps. If you're traveling solo, that could be tough. Once I tried putting in on the pack first, then I put on my pack, and finally put the front part over me.

They're great because air circulation prevents sweat buildup. In underbrush, you can put the front over your hiking poles to keep the wet foliage from rubbing against you. Coated nylon keeps you dry hours longer than goretex does.

Carolyn <Soul Doctor>

<<<<<

Lightweight poncho as rain gear? (Cat Gunderson)
Message: 14