[pct-l] To " Filter or Treat"...or not to..."Filter and Treat"

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Wed Sep 5 10:39:16 CDT 2012

Hiro,

Interesting links.

You bring up an important issue:  I am continually fascinated that on the PCT in particular, everyone focuses on Giardia to the exclusion of any other pathogen.

In fact, I think that Giardia represents a small fraction of the intestinal cases that occur, just as in the larger population in civilization.

However, this focus has consequences.

For example, filtering systems that are optomized for Giardia may be relatively poor for bacteria, which may actually be the most important risk.

Also, people may avoid excellent bacteria-killing treatments, like bleach, because of it's relative ineffectiveness on Giardia.

One other point:  you mention that the AT study applies to the PCT.  Maybe it does, and maybe it does not.  One has to be careful about drawing such conclusions.

As always, I think people should do what makes them feel comfortable.

But thanks for the contribution.