[pct-l] Cooking systems

Inga Aksamit iaksamit at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 13:14:43 CDT 2012

We recently switched from fuel canisters to a wood-burning stove (search for Solo Stove or Bush Buddy) and love it--no heavy, empty canisters to haul around and it's so "green" in terms of just using small twigs as a fuel source. We use a little dryer lint that I save throughout the year as a starter and in 8 minutes you have a boil. On the High Sierra Trail last week we carried Esbit solid fuel tablets as backup and only used them twice (use 2 tablets). We cut the rounded end of a soda can to place under the tablets to catch the residue as they melt and to adjust the placement in the stove. My husband made one first and it worked great but didn't last. He must have said 20 times last week, "I love my Solo Stove". I'm thinking it should be his trail name. Sometimes he'll carry a small stash of twigs as we head above the tree line.

Hey All: Does anyone want to give a shout out about cooking systems for
> the JMT?  I love my JetBoil--and it's all I've ever used.  Is it going to
> be too heavy.  We'll be hiking as a twosome and therefore sharing some
> gear. Thanks,Havasu

Inga Aksamit
Mobile: 415-470-1812
Email: Iaksamit at aol.com