[pct-l] Lightweight poncho as rain gear?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Sep 2 19:25:47 CDT 2012

I like a poncho that doesn't cover my pack.  I use a airline plastic bag
and put everything in it inside my pack I want to keep dry.  I don't
care if my pack gets wet - it's going to anyway.  I stay dryer from the
rain when I can take the pack on and off without worrying about it being
covered with my poncho.

The pack keeps the poncho pretty anchored and I loosen and tighten the
snapped sides depending on wind/temperature/rain intensity.  I stay away
from raincoats because they seldom are long enough to cover my butt and
upper thighs.

I've been thinking about making a cagoule -
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/rainshed.html#RS280%20Cagoule - you can
make it as long as you want, and put as many vents or velcroed openings
in it  you want.

Just some thoughts!

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD

On 9/2/2012 6:04 PM, CHUCK CHELIN wrote:
> Good evening, Cat,
>
> My experience with ponchos began in the early 1960’s.
>
> Used only as rain gear over a pack, they can be bought, built, or modified
> to be reasonably sized for a hiker, and still weigh about 10 oz.  I prefer
> they be cut to reach about 10” off the ground, front and back – the back
> being measured with one’s pack in place.  Left much longer than 10” there
> is risk of stepping on the front hem going uphill and assuming an unplanned
> horizontal position on the trail.
>
> The sides are typically straight, but that leaves material to flop around
> in the wind.  The extra material can be removed, but then the poncho
> becomes sort of a one-trick-pony and it won’t serve well as an emergency
> shelter tarp.   When considering narrowing the body I’m sure to allow
> whatever material is required to assure I can sit, cross-legged, beneath it.
> Several snaps or Velcro patches are used at the sides to manage the
> flopping.
>

> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Cat Gunderson <cathi at cathigunderson.com>wrote:
Can anyone tell me their experience using a lightweight treated-nyon
poncho instead of rain pants/jacket on the PCT? Does the wind render the
poncho useless? Thank you! Cat