[pct-l] What is the best cell phone along the PCT

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sat Sep 1 13:36:10 CDT 2012

I used a Verizon pay as you go phone. Verizon had good
connection--especially on ridges that faced valleys where towns were in
Californa. I remember calling out from the top of Mt. Whitney.
Washington was not quite as good, but I could usually find at least one
cell site once a day. Halfmile has guides on his website on cell phone
provider coverage--www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html

The 3.25 ounce phone I used was a Samsung from verizon--no bells and
whistles. I chose the $15/month plan that charges $2 a day for calls
when you make them, and you can make as many as you want on that one day
for $2. I found that this was adequate for me--I only made calls in town
on zero days anyway. I had to add a minimum of $15 to my account every
month and did that through the phone with a credit card. I carry a
camera and a GPS and did my journal updating and emailing in small town
libraries along the way, so didn't need the phone for those things.

--Fireweed