[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get though them

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:31:53 CDT 2012

> Would folks with some experience under their belt be willing to say a bit
> about which sections you found to be most physically and/or mentally
> challenging and/or rewarding?
The hardest part of the PCT is the first step from the border.  If you make that first step from the monument you have completed the hardest part of the entire PCT.  Most people can just dream of making it that far.
The first few weeks will be hard mentally and physically because you will be adjusting to a new lifestyle and your body will be strained.  If you can make it the first month to Agua Dulce (mile 454) enjoying the hike and feeling good, I would say you have a good chance of making it all the way.
In 2012 one of the most difficult sections for a lot of hikers was hiking up Mission Creek (mile 225), but this was because of extreme heat.  Temperatures were above 100 degrees at the time a lot of hikers hiked that area.  Water was plentiful but the extreme temperature along with a lot of climbing was difficult for a lot of hikers.  Another section was leaving Tehachapi (mile 570), winds were around 60 mph making it almost impossible to walk on the trail.  These conditions were completely different than my other PCT thru hikes, so areas that were bad in 2012 were not bad before... and I would guess that things will change for 2013.
> For example, almost everyone seems to say that they slowed down
> significantly, and ate a lot more, through the Sierras (from Kennedy
> meadows through to Tuolumne, I guess).

When you hit Forester Pass (mile 780) your progress begins to slow rapidly because most hikers only attempt one major pass a day.  The major passes are Forester Pass (mile 780), Glen Pass (mile 792), Pinchot (mile 808), Mather(mile 817), and Muir (mile 838).  It is extremely difficult to hike over more than one pass a day unless you time it out your camping very carefully and can hike fast.  Most of the time the snow levels in the Sierras makes attempting two passes in one day almost impossible.   So expect to hike about 15 miles a day after Forester Pass, after going over Muir Pass, you can expect to add a few more miles to the day.  But obviously this depends on trail conditions and your physical condition.
Good Luck on your Hike
Paul
PocketPCT.com