[pct-l] The bicycle-PCT conundrum

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Mon Oct 29 13:12:46 CDT 2012

Fred wrote:

>I would expect that a hiker would come to the rescue, giving up his/her
>valuable limited water/food putting both people in danger and in need of
>rescue - making the problem worse (and more expensive), etc., etc.  How
>many hikers carry enough water for two people when they travel alone ?

>Fred

I have been in the position to rescue two bikers over the years. Something that all of us would do in spite of any disagreement about bikes on the trails.

I do think some of us may be making assumptions on what the MBers want.

Bike packing. It is essentially backpacking with a bike. Perhaps that is what we are assuming most of this drive to get access to the PCT is about. There may be a few people interested in that but I don't believe that is the main interest.

Local loops. I think there are a lot of the interest comes from bikers who want local loops using the PCT as the middle link. Example: a MBer can ride his bike up the Spitler trail and he can ride his bike up the Fobes Ranch Trail, but if he could ride on the PCT he could make a big loop out of it or a shuttle. A lot of the the MBers wouldn't have the stamina to bike up that steep trail but some might.

Downhill. This is where there is a road to the top of a mountain or ridge and they just ride down. This is probably where MBers have the biggest interest and it is also where they will be the most dangerous. Example: One MBers has already suggested getting dropped off on Black Mountain Road or hell, why not just take the tram, and then riding down Fuller Ridge. Yes, I know the tram throws you into the San Jacinto State Wilderness and the rangers are very active up there, so that wouldn't work for them. But can you imagine hiking down Fuller Ridge, everybody's least favorite piece of the PCT and having to also worry about MBers come down behind you? It's not going to make it any more pleasant.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln