[pct-l] Best time of year to hike Nor. Cal and Oregon

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 15:25:48 CDT 2012

A lot will depend on the type of snow year we get. If we have a heavy and late snow fall then late june into early July is going to be your window to start. If you do not have any time constraints and can go any time during the summer, then anywhere from mid july to late september is wonderful. The later in the year the more possibilities of fire closures and detours but less bugs. Rain can happen at any time of the year in the Cascades even a freak snow event could happen. Usually late June to September and into Mid October if the weather holds are the prime months for the Cascades.
Mosquitos are harder to predict if we get a warm spring followed by a cold snap that will reduce their population greatly. If we have a warm wet winter and a similar spring then it could be a bad bug year. This year we had a late snowfall and a relatively light year for bugs.

Diarmaid "Irish" Harmon
irishharmon at comcast.net

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!"