[pct-l] Smart phone apps

John Poppe jbpoppe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:48:49 CDT 2012

I completed my PCT trek, Mexico to Canada on Sept 17th. I used 3 apps on my iPhone in conjunction with my paper Halfmile maps and Yogi notes.

1. Halfmile's PCT - this app worked almost without fail to provide my exact location on the trail in trail miles. I was able to see how far ahead to the next campsite or known water source. I used this app many times throughout the day to mark my progress to my destination. I used it to validate my decision on taking the proper trail when faced with an unclear junction. I found this app to be valuable beyond compare and highly recommend it. Be aware that it does use the GPS chip and as such will drain the phone battery rapidly. To counteract the battery draining GPS chip I kept my iPhone on airplane mode until I needed to view the app.

2. PCTHYOH - I used this app to view Halfmile's maps and notes on the occasion that my resupply box didn't make it. Great backup for all the maps and notes. The water report is also accessible. These features require you to cache the documents so they are a available without a data connection. I also used this app every night to update my journal and when I had a signal it was sent to Postholer.com automatically, a great feature.

3 Topo maps. This app I used occasionally in conjunction with Halfmile's app to validate the trail and on a few rare occasions locate the trail in snow or when I ventured of the correct trail.

These three apps made my trek easier and saved me time. There may be others out there but I would use these again on my next hike.

John
425-614-8702